Saturday, August 21, 2010

In the beginning..

Well this is my first blog ever. I have been so inspired by reading other bloggers in the subject of Lap band and reading lapbandtalk.com.

What I hope to do with this blog: complain, share pain, be inspired, get encouragement, encourage, teach, and explain WHY I think this is the right path for me.

Let me tell you about my self. I am 31 years old, married to a wonderful man who loves me even when I am insane which probably is most of the time, with one dog and one cat. We have a lovely home, great friends and family. I have a beautiful God Daughter.  I am over weight. Let me say it more like this...I am obese. Gosh what a horrible word. I'd rather be called fat then obese. So that is what I will say from now on. I have always been on the bigger side. I have also always been athletic. I swam for 18 year competitively. I coached youth and high school swimming. I do yoga, I get out and walk, and exercise, damn it. But apparently I also like to eat. On the eating front..I eat well. I love my veggies. I love good healthy food with the occasional bad unhealthy food. I am not a sweet junkie...I can live with out chocolate (except for the odd occasion). But my problem I think is that I over eat.

I have tried loads of diets, the most successful being a non diet. In the last 3 years I lost 55 lbs in the course of a year and a half. All by counting calories and doing a circuit training program. I felt fantastic. Then I plateaued and then I got pregnant. About 10 weeks later I lose the baby and about a month after that I got a serious infection in my uterus that not only was painful but just all in all not a great time. During the next ten months I tried and tried to count calories again but I think I gave myself a pass on not to make myself feel bad. Sooo in return, up goes the weight. Back to the 10 month point...I find I am pregnant again. So thrilled and yet ever so cautious. 7 weeks...bam. Lost another one. This one really really struck my emotional cords. I bounce back when things are hard. I look forward when things are bad. I DO NOT let myself be depressed for long. But this has been such a hard time for me. This was April/May 2010. So hubs took me on a beach trip a week later, after the Dr's. said it was okay of course, and we had the best time. Just us. We got home and one hour after returning from a fabulous trip I am watering the plants I felt a pain very much like the pain I felt with the first infection. I went to the Dr the next morning and he would not admit that it was an infection again. I woke the next morning in so much pain that I was fainting alone in my house with the doors locked. Mom comes and rushes me to an awful ER. I will spare you the nasty details but the bottom line is they released me while I was still fainting in the wheel chair on the way to the car. My OB/GYN saw me the next day and within 10 minutes I was again on my way to the hospital (a different one). In two days I received 53 antibiotics by IV. That doesn't include fluids and pain meds. 53. Bottom line I suppose is I AGAIN had an infection in my uterus and a very much enlarged ovarian cyst.

The next weekend I was home recovering and some family came into town. Although I was not ready to take visitors, I did talk on the phone to my cousin Nathan. Nathan is recovering from lap band surgery. Well it has been a few months. So while I am sitting in my chair bored and feeling bad for myself I start to think about the Lapband. Then I start to research it. I mention it to my mom who is the worlds smartest nurse (I might be biased but she seriously is). I find the pro's and con's....on and on. Then I get brave enough to find a Dr and speak to my OB about a referral. SO...in the end after going to a seminar and my first group meeting...I have an appointment with my care team on Aug. 30th! Wooohooo!

Now this has been in some ways a very brief overview of my life over the last 2 years. Doesn't describe all of my feelings about the events that lead up to this plan I have. But I hope over time this blog will help me express everything in depth.

I am sick of being the only fat friend. I want to be healthy. I want to wear "normal" clothes. I want to go on 15 mile hikes with my husband and dog without hating every minute of it. (like hell I even considered doing 15 miles anyway) I want to take pictures that I like to see of myself. I want this! If this leads to me being healthy enough to have children then so be it. But the way that I explain it is if I can't be a mom then, damn it, I am going to look good! ( a little over dramatic I know, plenty of people have children after 2 miscarriages).

So here it begins....

5 comments:

Catherine55 said...

Welcome! Thanks for your nice post on my blog. :) In terms of restaurants for your NYC trip, consider going to Babbo (serious foodie territory) or Buddhakan (great food, but more for the fun going out experience). Other noteworthy spots worth trying are Grammercy Tavern and Gotham Bar & Grill.

I'm sorry to hear about all that you've gone through and am sending very best wishes for your success on all fronts.

Linda said...

Hi Amanda! I found your blog when I was doing some updates on the BOOBS blog and saw you as a new follower.
I look forward to reading about your journey with the band.

Amanda said...

Thanks Catherine.. I am excited to go to the Grammercy Park area because that is where my grandmother lived when she was a young girl! Her mother was a designer for Tiffany Glass. But before she died and was in the throws of dementia she started talking about being a young girl in the apartments of Grammercy Park! Hopefully I will try more then one of your recommendations. Thanks again for the best wishes.

Linda..Thanks so much for following me. I look forward to reading about your successes with the band! I am now addicted to these blogs!

Erin said...

I really enjoyed reading your first post! I totally know what you mean about being athletic, active and...FAT!! It's the pits!! When I got my lifeguard certification, my class was a bunch of 20 year old skinny girls and 1 skinny guy. I was so embarrassed when we had to do water rescues. Also, they were like "SHE can do it, so YOU can do it" - like, hey the fat girl can do it - so quit whining. UGH!!

I'm so sorry about your miscarriages. That's got to be hard and while I can't KNOW your pain, I can empathize with loss. It's never easy. You definitely have hope. <3

Stephanie F. said...

Hey Amanda - Sorry to hear about your struggles. I have also struggled with PCOS & Infertility issues. We are at very similar stages in our Lap-band Journey as well! My surgery consult is on Sept. 15th and I am soooo ecstatic! Please update Monday after your appointment! I am now a follower and plan to be with you on your journey! Let's support each other and reach those goals!