Hello my blogland babes!
I have 92 followers! Wowser! I am super thrilled by this! I told my husband last night that I am shocked an amazed that anyone is interested. But I am super thrilled! Hiya newbies!
So I had another stuck, gravel, please stop hurting episode last night! I will never get used to that feeling. Which I suppose is the point. I MUST remember to chew chew chew! It was turkey this time! I made a boneless turkey breast last night and while tasty, the first bite was utter hell. Chew, Amanda, Chew.
My portions are way down. Last night I logged before I ate my dinner. I logged 4 oz of turkey, measured my spinach and mushrooms before I cooked them. Measured the sesame oil that I cooked in. But I was in no WAY able to eat 4 oz of turkey. I really hope my scale reflects these changes.
Question: I woke up today and I've had my cup of coffee. (When I say cup, I clearly mean 16oz) But I have this feeling in what I think is my stomach. I THINK it is tightness. But I am confusing it with maybe hunger. At about 10:30 I had a pineapple greek yogurt. It took me about 20 minutes to eat it and I was satisfied but I still feel this tightness. So what I am wondering: What does tightness feel like to you? Is it just a sensation? When you are really hungry does your tummy rumble? I can tell the difference between the gurgling that it is doing more often but what does the tightness feel like?
The reason I mostly want to know this stems from timing myself between meals. I want to be able to stay satisfied for 4 hours I guess. Well the yogurt satisfied me really well. For about 2.5 hours. Now I am ready for lunch. Should that yogurt have held me for 4 hours? Oh the battle of figuring this thing out! What ever am I to do!?
Again, Molly and Alison had me thinking this morning (great accomplishment ladies ha ha). In fact for the last week I have been thinking about my battle with my scale. It has been on a lot of minds recently. Why do I torture myself daily with my scale? I mean some days it totally determines my mood for the whole day. I read about these girls who only weigh once a week or once a month..flipping insanity and yet I would love to be able to do that.
At one point in my life. It actually might have been from College until about the year before I got married, I had no relationship with the scale. I would weigh a couple times a year. Or maybe perhaps I would weigh never. This, my dears, was when I gained all this weight. I would go to Starbucks, I lived in the city and went out a lot for dinner. We would drink often too. I made no effort or even cared. I ate and drank what I wanted. It was fun but I am paying for it now. During high school and college I was an athlete so even though I was a sturdier girl I was healthy! Then I met my husband and I wanted to start looking better and feeling better and have children. This is where my battle with the scale started.
So today, with all this thinking, I have decided that when I hit 215 which is my next goal, I will put my scale away for a week. I will use my husbands tallness and greatness of hiding things from me (I search for presents that are hidden) in this endeavor! I will weigh once a week only. Why wait until I hit 215 you ask? Why not now? Well this is because I have been waiting for my band to start working. I lost pretty well after surgery and I have maintained that. But this week I would say is the first real restriction I've felt and I am 5lbs away from 215 AND 217 was the lowest weight I have been since before my miscarriages. So to be 215 means that this is starting to work and maybe I can relax and not worry so much about failing!
What do you think? Think I can do it? Determined (that's my 2011 word) I think I am determined. And if I typed it then it is law!
This weekend is the Super Bowl and I have said before that I am not a huge sports fan. But we always go to the same party and I always make something yummy snacks. This time I am going to make these (look below). I've done them before and they were in fact quite tasty. Instead of wrapping the bacon around I just sprinkled bits on top! They were edible too. Not at all to hot.
What are you making?
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies
Ingredients
- 20 whole Fresh Jalapenos, 2-3 Inches In Size
- 2 cubes Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 pound Thin(regular) Bacon, Sliced Into Thirds
Preparation Instructions
If you have them, slip on some latex gloves for the pepper prep… Cut jalapenos in half, length-wise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (the source of the heat; leave a little if you like things HOT). Smear softened cream cheese into each jalapeno half. Wrap jalapeno with bacon pieces (1/3 slice). Secure by sticking toothpick through the middle.
Bake on a pan with a rack in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You don’t want the bacon to shrink so much it starts to the squeeze the jalapeno. If, after 20 minutes, the bacon doesn’t look brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it off. These are best when the jalapeno still has a bit of bite to it.
Serve immediately, or they’re also great at room temperature.
You’ll love these so much, you’re gonna come out of your skin. Or something like that.


12 comments:
I have found I had to relearn what is hunger and what is not. Honestly it may be that with just a yoghurt you were hungry after 2.5 hours - I would be, my breakfast currently is about four desert spoons of yoghurt, cereal and milk - all added up to one cup. It is the whole tightness versus fullness balance.
For me usually about 3-4 days after a fill is what I can realistically eat, first few days is always tiny amounts, but the difference gradually gets less and less.
Like you I avoided the scale going up and now weigh daily. And while for some this isnt ok and they weigh weekly etc, for me for my avoidance of weight gain I have to weigh daily - I have to adjust my head to not get upset within a range...but I know not knowing allows me to gain weight and blow it off as a bad week etc rather than question the mental attitude during the week and working on it. For some it is their accountability - my boss lost weight years ago and still weighs daily, not to torture herself but to make sure she isnt ignoring it!
Oh and iceblock...popsicle? frozen ice? Well the type I had yesterday was http://www.streets.com.au/products/calippo.aspx
I have no band wisdom, but those jalepeno things look yummy, I eat jalepenos almost every day. On lots of stuff, i puree them and put them in chili and even a tiny bit in my chicken noodle soup. Nothing clears the sinuses like a good scoville count!
Oh and my slow moving foods are usually the dry sort - hence why they recommend sauce with dry foods. This week was fish with a crumbed exterior (I cooked it a bit long so the outside was extra crispy) and louise cake (a cocnut slice). So pretty much anything that is dry.
OK...so many things to talk about! First...that recipe looks so yummy! Second, full liquid/mushy foods don't satisfy as much as solid foods so 2.5 hours just for yogurt pretty good. Remember the ban dworks by volume not weight or calories. Solids takes up more space. I didn't have a relationship with the scale (at least not a serious one...more like on again/off again flings) the entire 10 years it took me to get fat. Now I weigh myself once a week. More than that, I get frustrated. Less than that, I get lazy. Sounds like you're doing pretty good.
No band answers here, but those jalapeno thingys look soooo yummy!! You've given me an idea - the crew should love it!!
Thank you, as always!!
Those jalapeno things do look major yummy! Thanks girl, I will so have to try for the Superbowl Party I'm going too :)
As for being hungry after 2.5 hours, just as Manda said, solids will last longer. Try eggs, scrambled with a piece of turkey bacon, or peanut butter. The higher the protein and solid the food, the longer in between meals you will be able to go! I eat 3 pieces of turkey bacon and 1 scrambled egg (white) and can go 5-6 hours....but that too depends on fills. Good luck! You'll get it! It's trail and error and what works for one may not work for the other.
I never weighed myself when I was in my early twenties because I was always afraid of what the scale might say. Then I started Weight Watchers and I had to get over my fear of stepping on the scale. They have weekly weigh-ins but I used to weigh myself everyday. Then after having my surgery, my surgeon advised me not to weigh myself. I thought he was crazy. So I tried it and it has been one week and I have lost 3 lbs. Wow! Maybe this works! I don't know, it has only been one week for me but I will try anything once and so far it has worked.
Hi!
2.5 hours full on yogurt sounds good to me too. I am not sure how to describe being hungry- it's more that I am thinking about food, if that makes sense. It's hard for me to chew too- as you know, I have mentioned this a ton of times!
This is all so new, and you are doing great. Maybe weighing in once a week would be helpful? I am too scared to go more than a few days, myself, because like you, when I had no relationship with the scale things went out of whack!
Congrats on your followers Ms. Popular!
oxox
My chest puffed up when I read that I'd made you think. As you can tell from my blog, I can offer no advice! I do think that weighing weekly is much better for the mind but not sure that I'm strong enough to break the habit!
The jalapeno's look amazing, too dangerous for me, I'd eat the lot.
Amanda - I think your blog is a god-send. I found it yesterday at work (and can't post comments from there), but I have been looking for someone that was on an all liquid diet before surgery...and so recently too. How did you deal with it? Did you rely on protein shakes, or did you mix it up with other things as well? Were you hungry all the time, or did it get better? I'm working myself up about it, and really I just need someone who's experienced it to tell me what it's like. If you have time, could you just let me know how you worked through it all? Thanks so much. - Catherine
Hi Amanda, the snacks look amazing...and dangerously delicious. I have struggled with my scale a lot too but I need it for accountability and keeping me on track. I totally understand your need to hit benchmarks and validate that the band is working though...you seem very diligent and conscientious. I have an intuitive feeling that you will do great.
The snacks look amazing! And I need to start weighing once per week, maybe that should be OUR February challenge for ourselves? :)
Post a Comment