Holy hell people what a pointless appointment. Well kinda!
2.5 hours of stuff I already knew. They should just require everyone considering this surgery to read up on here and lapbandtalk.com. I agree that varying information can some times confuse but there was not one tiny little bit of information that I was given that I didn't learn for you guys and research! EXCEPT that I paid $450 for paperwork and a Weight loss Surgery for Dummies book they gave me in my first class! What an expensive pointless book that is better suited for Bypass then Banding.
Am I bitter? Well not really. I understand why they do this and I liked my Doctor. The clinic has a lot of friendly people and I even met someone from my home town that goes to the 'Support Meetings' that I am required to attend during this process! I don't really like support groups. It isn't my style! But I will go.
I just wish I had a clue about the time line of when I will have surgery. I know now that I have a BMI of 40.1 and that I am 5ft6.5 inches not 5ft5.5 inches that I thought I was. I learned I need to lose about 12.5 lbs before surgery in order for them to schedule me. I will have to do a sleep study and a psych evaluation and that my next 2 appointments will be on Sept 30th. Grrrrr...why not tomorrow!?
My Dr. spent about an hour with me going over my medical questionnaire and asking me various questions about why I want surgery and why the band is what I chose. He asked about grazing and if I ate sweets. I told him what my main problem was....portion control. I explained that my most successful diet was calorie counting and circuit training. So basically every bit of advice he told me I already knew. What a freaking smart ass I am.
I did tell him at one point that I really wasn't trying to be a know it all, but that I have done so much research that almost nothing he can tell me would be a surprise. Expecting him to be irritated with me (a bit) he actually said that he was pleased and thought I would be very successful. He felt that the people who chose not to know much about what they were doing were often the ones that weren't successful. He said I had a good attitude. Which was great to hear!
Of course I was told, as we all know, the band can hope to only help you with 50-60% of the excess weight. I got him to also admit that this was a broad statistic and that there certainly were people who exceeded the 50-60%. I am determined to be one! If I only lost the 50% I would still be around 200lbs. Which is unacceptable. So he agreed that my goal of 160-170 was obtainable with hard work on my end! (secretly I want to lose more, but I am not telling him that) I feel strongly that if I got to 160 I would be very happy.
On an emotional point: this is going to be very expensive. I mean even with my insurance it is going to be costly. The insanity of it all is that by the time my surgery comes my insurance will have rolled over and started back at the beginning. I have been told by Chris (my husband) not to worry. That we will figure it out. But I feel so guilty. It is my nature. But I have also decided and am determined that I will have this surgery come hell or high water.
Did you guys go to support meetings?

7 comments:
Hey Amanda! I've not been to "support meetings" - yet. Will be going on Sept. 8th. We gotta do what we gotta do. And about the "guilt", there is plenty of guilt to go around for so many things, I've felt it all.. But we need to remember that we're doing this for the long haul, for those we love, and for ourselves. Money comes, money goes.. but a long, healthy life with those we love is priceless... Keep taking each step down that path as it comes, and remember you aren't walking alone!
Hey Amanda... I went to a couple support groups, one was run by a patient who wouldn't let anyone else get a word in and the other was run by a nurse... The one with the nurse was very imformative and I will be going back... the patient one, probably not. I get more support from these blogs than from anything else. They are a blessing... Anyway, it depends on the support group is my final answer. *Maria*-blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp..." Check out my blog at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com
I'm not required to go to any support groups nor did my doctor say anything about them but sometimes there are days I wish I knew were there was one. Then again I feel like I get all my support and answers from all of you here in the blog world. I really hope your support group works for you.
My doc does a monthly support group meeting but I haven't been yet. He also holds a Lap Band II class that I have to do before my first fill - not real sure what that is. I really feel that I get a lot of support on the blogs and from my hubby (who is still trying to get banded) so I don't think I will be attending the group meetings unless I start to struggle.
I have been to our support group a few times. But overall, I feel like I have lots of the info they share. I do enjoy learning new tips and hearing about other peoples successes and struggles. It's kinda like reading 10 other people's blogs in an hour's time. But I definitely do not feel like I need to go or feel guilty if I don't go.
I am so with you on it costing more than I would have guessed. I am also so so blessed to have good insurance, so the majority of the surgery is low cost. But the program fee and the thousands of meetings with the nutritionists and the behavioralists and the exercise guy and the this and the that...it added up to a lot!! I just keep thinking - it's money that would have gone to fad diet of the week and hopefully will stop the cycle of money spent trying to lose over and over. Plus, I'll eat less food. It will all even out someway!
I never went to a support meeting, because I've felt so much support here and it wasn't required. I think once I become more successful I might want to go so I have something to offer, but don't feel any need right now. Sometimes guilt is a good thing if you can use it to help motivate you.
We have very similar starting statistics. I am also 5 6 1/2. I also started with a BMI of 40.1. But I didn't have to lose anything to be scheduled for surgery. I did lose 10 lbs in the pre-op week of liquids. And yes, even with insurance, it is costly. For me, I had not went to the doctors in over two years, so no deductibles met there. And now, only a month out, I will have to start over in two more months with the deductibles! ahhhh!
Post a Comment