As I have posted previously, my doctor is concerned about a higher then normal glucose level. He put me on a very low does of metformin and told me to check my blood. But that is all he told me.
So I got a meter, read the instructions, have been logging the numbers etc etc etc.
But what the hell do the numbers mean? What time of day should I check? Every bit of research I find is different and I realise that my Doctor should be the one to advise me. I promise to ask him when I go next week. But right now I a drawing blood and curious what it means.
I would be happy to post my numbers from the last few days I just need a tiny bit of guidance from you lovely people in the know!
BTW, I am fine out there. I've been mega busy. Chris has been sick so I have been holding down the fort (work) I am grouchy but it probably is hormone related, and Chris Gran died on Tuesday so I am sure I am being a lovely wife to my husband by being a grouch. But I am fine. I seem to be losing weight pretty well and I found an awesome calorie counter app for the iPad (my bff). Although it is a fabulous tool..it doesn't allow me to type long posts or replies out. So I wait to post until I am on the PC.
I bought a cool witches hat to wear this weekend. It has feathers and black glitter. I am going to a small family Halloween party and Chris will be back packing. We never get any trick or treaters so I am buying no treats. However if I get one or two then Chris' English candy basket will be raided for the munchkins!
How are all of you? ~A

9 comments:
Hey Amanda- I can't comment much on my blackberry,but if you want to email me at lindasbandwidth@gmail.com i'll tell you what I know about blood sugar readings.
You shouldn't test before 2 hours after a meal. Normal levels before a meal should be 70–130mg/dl; after a meal should be <180 mg/dl. Hope this helps! I too am on Metformin for PCOS. Hope you haven't had any tummy troubles. :)
Sorry I can't help too much with the diabetic thing. I had gestational diabetes but the testing and levels for that is a bit different. My dad has type II diabetes and I know that in addition to what Nikki posted before, he had to test first thing in the morning for his fasting numbers. I don't have any idea what that number should be though. Does your insurance have a nurse's line? I find them to be extremely helpful with things like this. BTW, thanks for your comment on my blog.
Your question is right up my alley! You should always check your fasting morning blood sugar and a two hour post prandial blood sugar, which means testing two hours past a normal meal. Normally your blood sugar should rise no higher than 140mg/dl at the two hour mark. Normal fasting levels should be in the 100mg/dl range, two hours should be in the 140mg/dl range.
What do the numbers mean? Your body regulates blood sugar levels by producing insulin in your pancreas. If your blood sugar level is too high, your body does is not producing enough insulin to keep the sugar in check, causing a metabolic imbalance. Too high insulin - hypoglycemia. Too low insulin - hyperglycemia. Each can cause serious problems.
First thing in the morning, under 100. Nikki said it well but my dr. said lower than 165 two hours after eating.
Can't help with the diabetic question. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry about Chris's Gran, hope that he feels better soon
Well done on your weight loss!
Like many of the people above said the morning blood sugar should be under 100 and over 60 and the 2 hour after meal blood sugar should be under 180 max - some docs like 145-165 depending on your risk levels.
I am also on metformin for my PCOS, but my problem is more insulin resistance leading to low blood sugar. Because of that I had to test 1 hour after a meal too. This is when your sugars can spike (and should to some degree). My doc wanted to see what the spike looked like and then compare it to the more stable 2 hour post meal. Also the 1 hour can be used to test how you react to certain foods. For example, does pasta cause your sugars to spike but fruit doesn't. Everyone can be a little different so this test can help to find works for you.
Another time to test may be if you feel any sick. First of all, blood sugars can act a little differently when you are sick. Secondly, if you are having symptoms of low or high blood sugars you can check to see what is going on. Since I have problems with low blood sugar I check mine if I get the shakes, feel light headed or have extreme hunger. High blood sugar has its own symptoms, but I don't know exactly what those are.
Hello lovely, Glad that Chris is doing better. Thanks for your comments, my problem is eating the wrong thing but thinking about it, maybe doing a few days liquid diet would get me back on track, would love the blog details, thank you! x
Thank you for that, I do follow Dinnerland, I'm just a bit behind with my reading! Will have a look now.
Thanks again.
Post a Comment