Well I started the day out right! Worked out! I have been feeling really good! 3 days a week supplemented by some yoga and some 'Just Dance' on the Wii! Go Me.
This weekend was a blast. We had yet another girls evening. But this one was a low key nothing fancy! We all brought a bottle of wine and had greek salads. We did a bit of a wine tasting and the got in the hot tub for all of 20 minutes before we were melting. I stayed the night at my friends house...mainly because her husband was out of town and it was just easy!
This week for most of you is Thanksgiving. We are having about 8 people over for dinner and I am not cooking the turkey due to my oven being insane. But everything else I am going to make! But this is my thing! I enjoy it. Wednesday night we are going to a friends house for a pre thanksgiving dinner! She is a wonderful hostess..we actually share recipes often! So I am sure we will enjoy that as well!
Hoping to hear sometime soon that my insurance will cover the surgery. I am trying to be ever so patient. But I am HORRIBLE at being patient.
I wanted to touch on some fabulous responses to my last blog entry. A few of you suggested that might my consider a different practice due to the surgeon not suggesting lab band over sleeve or bypass! I agree that if he was totally against it and snotty I would be changing doctors. He was very insistant that bypass was not for me..but would suggest the sleeve if my insurance would cover it. He says "You'd be a great candidate for the sleeve surgery". But my insurance does not! Plus to me both of those are a little to invasive for my taste. After discussing how I feel about the band and the research that I have put into it he was behind me totally and felt I could be successful! Rest assured that if I felt at all like he was totally against it...or an ego filled maniac then I would switch surgeons. I feel good about him. I feel like he was honest and excited and ready to go!
But what I do wish is that healthcare people in general had more faith in their patients. I am sure time and time again they have seen people not follow the right diets, not follow rules...and basically fail. But instead of lumping us all into one big group assess us individually. As I said my clinic Dr. never once said anything negative about me doing the band (he will be doing all the after care stuff). He was honest about the statistics! But the first couple of nutrition classes I felt pushed people towards bypass or sleeve. Not totally being negative but being sure to say people aren't as successful and blah blah. I guess they were just being honest about statistic aswell! I have had a fabulous one on one session with a dietitian...she was the first person (other then family and friends) to make me feel like I made the best choice for me!
So all you with the concern: Thank you so much for making me think about it. But rest assured I feel comfortable!?
Ohh...how many of you have medical jewelry that states you have the band?? How do you feel about this? Inquiring minds (mine) want to know!?!

8 comments:
Go YOU on the working out!! I love yoga - oh mercy, I wish we lived closer! Sounds like your weekend was terrific too!!
I'm horrible at patience as well - it's a "virtue" I wasn't blessed with! So, I'll chew my fingernails along side you!
Have a terrific week, my Friend! I can't wait to hear all about your Thanksgiving!!
Happy Thanksgiving to YOU!
I carry my card in my wallet (sometimes) but don't wear medical jewelry. There is very little that would be done to you in an emergency situation that would effect the band. And if it was a choice between breathing and the band, well, breathing comes first (although an ET tube shouldn't go anywhere near the band).
If someone had to do something in the hospital that went near the band (I dunno what exactly) either you or your advocate should be able to tell them that you have a band and that they should take care. (I certainly made sure my gall bladder surgeon knew I had a band and that I'd shoot him if he messed it up!) Alternatively, if medical personnel had to do something so emergent that nobody could forewarn them about the band, well, the band would be the least of your worries.
Hoping that makes sense.
I have a card that I carry in my wallet; I don't think an ID bracelet is necessary (and I probably wouldn't wear it anyway). Also, ditto everything that Robin said. :)
First of all, I'm excited for you! You seem to be in a great place, and my fingers are crossed for your insurance approval.
I don't have a card, or a bracelet.
Have a wonderful time tomorrow, and Happy Thanksgiving!!
I somehow missed your last post, odd as I do try and stalk you quite closely!
With regard to which surgery, I felt the same as you, the bypass and sleeve are just too invasive for me, I like that if I decide to remove the band (not a chance!) I pretty much go back to normal. You know that you can do it! Its good that the surgeon listened to you.
Really hope that you get confirmation and your date soon, how exciting.
I have a card which I carry in my wallet, with the 40 odd other cards (credit, membership, library,loyalty ect) they'd never find it! I wouldn't wear a bracelet though, unless it was encrusted with diamonds!
Glad you're open minded-- that is the key. And yes: I agree, it would be good if medical folks could trust patients more, but it kind of goes against the grain we get taught along the way which is essentially: "We know best, patient does not know best."
It's not that simple-- but it sort of comes out that way in the end.
The best medical practitioners are ones who listen and it sounds like you are having a good relationship with your surgeon and for that I am very glad for you!!
Good luck with your endeavors and keep on posting!! It is an amazing journey and you're on it...
No card or bracelet for me.
As for the medical personnel...I agree completely! I think it goes both ways though. An example of this: My grandmother has parkinsons and has really started going downhill but when she goes to her parkinsons doctor, she doesn't tell him about half the stuff that's going on. Doctors are only as good as their patients. I think a lot of people aren't as open and honest with their doctors as they should be and then get upset when docs can't read their minds. Just my 2 cents.
Sending insurance approval vibes your way.
I have a medical bracelet, but only because I only have one kidney.
I will add the band as an item in their system, just like my high bloodpressure but not have it engraved on the jewellry (both of them could go where as my kidney thing will not change!).
Post a Comment