Friday, September 10, 2010

Today is Thousand Word Thursday...or Friday in my slow posting world!

The topic that Amy gave us today was:












"A decoration in your home that is very meaningful to you - a family heirloom, a gift from your BFF, etc."

Most of the items in my house are meaningful to me. I am a collector of antiques which is a family thing...my grandmother, aunts, sister and mom all collect as well!
First thing I collect is Limoges China. It is a french type and typically dainty and light in color with flowers bordering the edges. I don't collect matching pieces, meaning I may have 2-4 plates that match and then 2-4 different ones so I can mix an match at a dinner table. However all Limoges goes together.
This is a tea pot and cup that my grandmother gave me. It belonged to her mother as well. Very dainty which is sometimes strange in my decorating world because I also like bold colors...reds, blues, yellows!

This is my china cabinet that was my grandmothers. She gave it to me when they moved into a smaller house and we bought our house. Everything in it was either given to me by my aunts, friends, sister, or mom. Most of it is also Limoges. I also have a set of Greek Goddess champagne glasses given by my best friend for my wedding. She is not an antiquer and searched for them knowing that I'd love it. Which I do. The middle tureen was given to me by my Great Aunt for my wedding. She got it in England in Yorkshire 50 years ago. She gave it to me for my wedding and made sure I knew where she got it since I was marrying a Yorkshire boy!


This is the last one! I promise! This is a picture of my mom and dad on their honey moon! I love it for many reasons. #1  is my mom swears she is wearing a suit *lol* Right mom!. #2 They are so young and handsome. A little hippy! #3 They are wearing cowboy hats! Totally unlike them! :) #4 my mom is so proper and collected that it is foreign to me to see her in miss hippy mode! Just makes me really happy!

I really really enjoyed doing this..thanks for looking!

7 comments:

-Grace- said...

That photo is fantastic and the china is just beautiful!

~Lisa~ said...

Oh what beautiful pieces! Each piece with its own story, its own memory.. So very lovely!! I love antiques, especially when they are gifts from loved ones, family and friends alike! Thank you so much for sharing this bit of yourself with us! I particularly LOVED the photo of your parents!! Great Stuff!! Thank you for making me smile today!! Have a GREAT weekend!

Alison said...

I love all your things but especially the picture of your parents, they look so young and in love!
She so isn't wearing a suit!!

Amy said...

What wonderful stuff! I love mix-match china on a table! And the pic of your parents is darling - just my thing!

~Lisa~ said...

In response to your comment - A spa treatment "whilst" in Vegas may be JUST what the Dr. ordered - it sounds absolutely WONDERFUL!! Perhaps then this tension will cease plaguing me once and for all - that and a couple really, really good martinis!!

Oh, and how is the little one doing??

Have a GREAT one!

-Grace- said...

Come grab your award from my blog!

http://graces-fat-chance.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

Wow that tea set is gorgous. So pretty! Love it!