Friday, October 1, 2010

Good morning my long lost blogger babies! I have returned!

Well...I returned on Monday night or early Tuesday morning. 12:45 am to be exact! Blahhhh. Since returning I have been on the go, go, go! I haven't even up loaded my pictures yet!

But our trip was fantastic. Every moment of it was fun! We had such a great hotel right in the middle of Time Square. We saw 3 shows on Broadway and of course Porcupine Tree at Radio City Music Hall. We ate some fabulous food. Did a little shopping and walked like crazy everywhere!

I seriously thought I might not return to blog land...no, not because I was bored with reading, or over whelmed by all I missed, but our return flight was so incredibly bad. I don't think one person on the plane wasn't thinking of their mortality. I am not over exaggerating either! For one hour and 45 minutes we were bounced around and rammed grasping the seats in front of us. The flight attendants were screaming at the STUPID people who kept standing up. They were throwing sick bags at passengers and practically crawling back to their stations! It was very very scary! I had cold sweats when we finally got off the plane! But as you can see we are home safe and sound!

Yesterday was my second visit with the doctor (I have to have 4 before I meet with the surgeon) and the first visit with the dietitian (I also have to have 4 of those too!). I lost a total of 3.5 lbs in one month. Even with eating pizza in NYC. Several times. I know in band land that doesn't seem like so so much but honestly I was so ready with my excuses of why I didn't lose..that when I saw the scale my heart rate elevated. So yay me! I had a glass of wine..okay two..to celebrate last night.

The Doc:
Fairly standard appointment I guess. Waste of time I feel. They ask you how you are..how you felt about your weight loss, and what you changed to lose it.

Then he ordered some lab work. Cholesterol Panel, Thyroid check, and a fasting glucose check. Pretty normal. He was concerned with my glucose level. When I had my second miscarriage in May and then was in the emergency room and hospital in early June for the infection that resulted from said miscarriage my first blood work showed an extremely elevated sugar level. After leaving the hospital and having a check up later on my level dropped a whole lot but was still about 2-3 points above normal. We told me not worry and that this in fact could help us with insurance covering the surgery fully. But that I might have to take some meds for a couple of months. So I am sad and happy all at once. But this is why I want the surgery...other then being a skinny bitch...but I want to prevent diabetes and other nasty things. So okay.

But I still lost 3.5 lbs. So we will end on that note!

The Dietitian
I was totally un-inspired to go and see this lady. Point Blank. My best friend is one, I know what to eat and about portions, I eat pretty healthy for the most part (just to much) AND I know from reading blogs and lapbandtalk.com what to expect on a broad spectrum. Ya know..chewing..soft foods...blah blah.
I know I'm a fricken know it all.

Anyway, I loved her. LOVED her. Kindred spirits except I am fat and she is thin! Oh and I am 31 and she is 61! We talked about recipes and she gave me ideas for cook books. (I am totally going to share some of these recipes) By all of the pre-paperwork questionnaire's she knew a lot about my eating patterns and so she prompted questions to just make sure I wrote is what I really do feel. Fortunately for me I was pretty spot on with what I wrote and what I said. I am not an emotional eater, I don't graze, I don't gorge on sweets. What I do is OVER EAT. I like food. It tastes good so I eat it. I also have no trigger for fullness.  I noticed especially with her asking me..... is that I only notice I am full after I have gone way too far. I mean I have known that. But now, all of the sudden, I really know it.

She said she thought I was a prefect candidate for Lapband. She followed by saying she doesn't say that for everyone. She has plenty of people who she doesn't suggest it at all. But she really felt that I would have such a positive out come.

I left feeling like a million bucks. I knew this would be the tool for me. I knew this was the "right" thing for me. But now I really really know. Thank you, Susan Dietian lady! Thank You.

One last thing she validated me on: I was way over educated (in food information)to get anything out of the nutrition class that I HAVE to take in 3 weeks. She said I would be bored. But that I have to go.

Amen sister. I know portions, I know what is good and bad, I just don't always (most of the time) follow what I know.

An Even Longer Post

So, This month is going to be insane for me. Yesterday was 2 appointments (an hour away), Monday is the appointment with the Sleep Study people (one hour away) which the appointment is going to be 30 minutes long! INSANE...2 hours of driving for 30 very expensive minutes of dr, The following Monday is my Psych evaluation which I hear will take hours but she accommodated me by doing it all in one day! She is an hour and forty minutes away.

My grandparents come on the 7th and they want to be invited for dinner so she can see our new (first house) and all of her antiques that she has given. I am thrilled to do it but sad because I don't think they will be able to do the journey from D.C again. As it is my mom is driving them down and back.  The very next weekend is my husbands birthday. I promised him he could take me camping where ever he wanted to go. But I have to recant on it. My Uncles (whom I see once a year at best) and a couple of cousins are coming for the Clemson /Maryland game. I am the good luck charm for Maryland they say. Every game I go we win if I am there. Which is few and far between. It is fun but I am so not a football fan! My grandfather played basketball and baseball for Maryland and is in the hall of fame there...but my mom did her undergrad at Clemson. So we pretend to be bitter rivals. So it looks like perhaps we will go camping the next weekend or even Halloween weekend.

Bring on November.

How are all you guys!??

(pictures to follow maybe this weekend)

12 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh gosh! I remember the days (not too long ago) of appointment hell. I remember spending one day...from 8:00am-5:30pm...going from one appointment to the next and still having to go back again later in the week. I just had to keep reminding myself that every appointment brought me one step closer to surgery.

~Lisa~ said...

Welcome home, Lady!!! Oh mercy that flight sounds absolutely terrifying!! I am so glad you're home, safe and sound! Sounds like you need a purple leopard comfy pants day!!

I Missed YOU!!

Ginger aka Gidget said...

WOW! Your flight sounds scary. Goodness sakes I've been on ones where I white-knuckled it the entire time.

On to your nutritionist info. I'm the same way. It's pretty much like "I know everything, I just need my jaw wired shut." I think I've actually told a few that before. Ha!

Alison said...

Glad that you're back, glad and very envious that you had such a good time in New York.
Your flight sounds awful, my husband is a terrible flyer, if I told him what happened we'd never go anywhere again!

MandaPanda said...

So busy!!! What is with people not understanding you do NOT stand up during turbulence? Seriously? Do we need to go over the "fasten seatbelt" light again? Glad you still lost weight and that your nutrionist appointment wasn't a waste of time. Mine sure was. Welcome home!

Alison said...

We don't tend to fly often now, Paul lived in Bahrain before I knew him and flew a lot for work, he managed to hold it together when he's alone but when I'm with him I have to hold his cold clammy hand and talk to him, I can't bear it! What a nasty wife I am!!
I took Isobel on her first flight in February, she loved it, we only went to Scotland!
Your nutritionist sounds great, I didn't see one before my surgery, here, you pay your money and get your date pretty much!
Are you looking forward to camping?

Debi said...

Hi Amanda!! Sorry to hear about the bad flight, but glad to hear that you had a great time in NYC!! I have never been there as yet.

As for the iPad, YES! You can download Books to it, as well as your Mac. Here is a link that gives some information on it. I hope this helps, and happy reading!!

Debi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ms_sbrlink_0?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771&pf_rd_p=1268025742&pf_rd_s=center-22&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002GYWHSQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=011BXAWYWS1TVP5KXJMQ

Lap Band Gal said...

Hang in there with those appts...totally worth it though!

Alison said...

Hello lovely,
Must be tough with Chris going to Yorkshire for Christmas, is he going for long?
I'm saying this quietly (don't tell Chris!) it will be cold and grey and rainy and (other than your husband and maybe Meadowhall) you're not missing much!

Alison said...

He'll be back before you know it, perhaps he'll smuggle some mushy peas back!
I'd be upset about missing Yorkshire pudding!

Really hope that you will be on your pre op in December, your approval will be here before you know it.

~Lisa~ said...

Hey! Good Luck with your sleep study.. It's not that bad, really. Just look forward to your camping trip and your new furniture! I'll be thinking about you while me and Hannibal are snuggling!! Keep us posted - and upload some pictures!!

Michelle said...

Glad you had a good trip sucks the flight was bad though. I hate flying it scares me.