TOPIC: Your favorite place where you live (your house, your town, whatever you choose to define as "where you live") - the place where you relax, recenter, regroup. Show us and tell us why it's YOUR place!
This is where I would like to be right now!
This is a cabin from the 1800's. Here is the story.
My mom and dad moved to this tiny town in 1978. They tried to rent this from an older couple. But my parents looked to much like NON (hippy) locals. Skip ahead 20 years later....who ever bought the land that this cabin was on was going to burn the run down, old, snake infested, cabin. My dad bought for a very small price. Numbered all the pieces and Lincoln logged it back together on their property which also already has an 1800's cabin that I was born and raised in. Remodeled and modernized of course.
This cabin. Also known as the "House for wayward husbands" is solar powered. Has a kitchen with a antique wood cook stove and is heated by a wood burning fireplace. It does have running spring water. But not a bathroom ladies, just an outhouse. I fancy one..but still. Every piece of wood, glass, anything..in the cabin is either original or found from that time period. Not a glamorous place most would say. But to me it is the best place in the world to relax!
No tv, cell phones don't work, it is warm and cozy. The meals we cook are always so yummy but they take some planning and time. When Chris and I go we both take books and read the whole time! GOLDEN!
I grew up on 80 acres of land so this is about 3/4 of a mile up the mountain from the house I grew up in.
So it isn't far but it sits on a bowl shaped clearing. Most years we have a 'Full Moon in June' party..which has become quite famous among our friends. Most people camp and we eat fabulous bbq and sides. We have been known to host upwards of 100 people. My parents hosted these when we were young and now my sister and I have taken over.
Last year we had Christmas up there. My uncle sent 6 dozen oysters from Maryland and my mom roasted a standing rib roast in the wood cook stove. How awesome is that Christmas.
So especially right now when things are so crazy in my world and moving along to fast...I can relax the best at the cabin.
I am so very lucky to have grown up with really cool parents. Who loved unique things and taught me the beauty of old stuff and small towns. But also showed me the world and some of the largest cities!

5 comments:
The cabin is so cool!
I want it!! I loved out old cabin we use to stay in when I was growing up. My dad eventually built a log house from the ground up when I was 5- with indoor plumbing- but a hurricane destroyed it 21 years later :(
This is so picturesque...love it!!
I wish I was there right now!! Love it!
That cabin looks lovely, what a job your Dad must have had to number everything, move it and rebuild it.
Hope that Chris has a lovely birthday, am trying to think what I would have in a candy from home package. Dairy milk, star bars and green and blacks butterscotch for me I think!
I was harvest festival goodies for Isobel's school today and the shop had nutragous bars, I almost cried having to leave them behind!
What an AWESOME wordless thursday entry! I so want to go live in that cabin! LOL
Blessings,
Robin at Band on the Run
Post a Comment