Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy Monday!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! So far so good here! Nothing major to complain about or report! I really enjoyed spending time with my husband this weekend! We got a few chores does yesterday which was great! I cooked a fabulous meal which was yummy! Italian Beef Stew from Cooking Light mag if anyone is interested. Turned out really well!

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the surgeon and hopefully my first fill! I am ready for this thing to start working! I am not eating like I was before but I am certainly eating more then I think I should! I am stuck at about 15lbs lost post surgery. I will try hard not to be very critical of myself because 15lb is certainly more then I would have lost with out the band supporting me. I also want to try and limit myself from comparing other peoples experiences to mine. SO HARD FOR ME. Because that is what you do when you are preparing for this surgery. You look at other blogs and websites and pictures and dream.  But ultimately if I can get down to a good weight...look good and feel confident then that is what matters. The band and I will have done the job.

Right now I am doing what I have always done. I am eating until I am too full. I ordered an appetizer of shrimp...ate about a 1/4 of it and ate a few bites of my husbands mac and cheese. Big mistake. It felt like thanksgiving dinner full.

How do I fix that? How do I know before I've gotten to far? Is that when the PBing sets in? Do you just get used to knowing your full feeling and stop yourself?

I always have eaten quality foods...not so much fast food or junk. It has always been quantity for me. To much of a good thing and I am too full. But it tastes good. So I keep going. Now I can tell the sheer amount is less but even today at lunch I made a grilled ham and cheese. I ate about 3/4 of it and I am so full. But I feel like I ate too much of even that!

I know this is bandster hell but I am one who prepares for everything. I don't like surprises. Even with the whole kid route..I'd like to know right now if we are going to have children. And if we aren't and can't then okay, but I want to start preparing myself for that ahead of time please. Is that to much to ask?! ha haa!

So I'd like to know ahead of time, please world and band...? Am I going to know when I am full enough? Am I going to always feel like I have had one bite to much? Thanks in advance!


Good thing is my doctor will do fills every 2 weeks if I want. Till I get to that spot! I hope that is a good thing for me!
So how are all you? I feel so behind in blog world. I'm sorry!

~A

12 comments:

Alison said...

I think that knowing where to stop is a really hard lesson to learn. I find that eating too much makes me really uncomfortable rather than pb, I don't really pb that often.
I think that you've done fantastically well so far, good luck for tomorrow.

Lee Ann said...

Good luck with your first fill. I'm glad the Hubby is back in town. And remember---"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." (John Lennon) As far as LB goes--You are doing great now. You will keep doing great. My magic 8 ball said so. :)

Amanda Kiska said...

At 11 months out, I usually know when I am too full. I don't usually PB when I'm too full (although I have). Normally I eat a bit and then start feeling the food not going any where. I wait a few minutes and then I burp and can eat again. I repeat this two or three times and then I start feeling like if I keep eating, I'm going to be in trouble.

I still "push it" and eat right to the point where I HAVE to stop. What I will tell you though is that I do reach a point where I really cannot keep eating. I litterally can't overeat (unless I eat little bits all day long).

Everything changes when you have good restriction. You'll know when you get there! Good luck with your fill.

Annie said...

Good luck with your fill! It must be so nice to have hubby back, I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend.

Re: fullness and pb. For me, fullness happens, the secret is to eat sloooooooowly and chew, chew, chew, until your jaw hurts. Seriously. Sometimes I chew and chew and pb when something doesn't feel right, or stuck. It sucks. Fullness is different, though. I never get so full I could burst, which is a good thing, but sometimes chewing so much gets old. I think I may be too tight though, so don't go by me.

You have done fabulously! Feel Good!! Everyone's experience is a little different, so be good to yourself.

xoxoxo
A

Anonymous said...

After my first fill, I knew I was full when I did a little hiccup. I always measure 1 cup of food. I can either eat it all or not. I literally take a measuring cup and add protein, and then a veg/and starch. I never go back for seconds. Sometimes I am not very hungry when we sit down to eat. I do eat because I need to. When I am finished with my food, I am not necessarily full. I just stop. Portion control is huge. I do not want to stretch out my band by eating too much. Good luck. Everyone is so different. If you take small bites and put your fork down between them, and chew, chew,chew, you will be full.

Violinist with a Band said...

I've always had issues knowing when I should stop (pre-band and post-band). I PB more than I should. One thing that has worked for me is literally measuring out my portions (like 3-4 ounces fish - I weigh it on my food schale, half a cup of veggies...or something like that). Sometimes when I put it on the plate, I'm like "OMG, thats nothing". And sometimes it turns out to not be enough and I end up having more and sometimes I can barely eat half of it. Its a struggle and for me (and maybe for you too?), its a lot about breaking old habits and my addiction to food. My old habit was to stuff myself until I couldn't move. And even after more than a year, I'm still working on it.

Anyways, you should feel great about your weightloss!! I'm so happy for you!!

Something About Kellie said...

i kinda know when I should stop - but me being me - i usually always keep going until I get that 'oh no' feeling!

its something we both need to work on by the look of it!

~Lisa~ said...

I'm glad you and Chris had a terrific weekend. I'm sorry that I can't help - yet - not really feeling "full" is what got me here to begin with!

Good luck with your first fill!! And yay!! for 15lbs!!

MandaPanda said...

I still have a hard time knowing when I'm "full." I think this is partly why they tell you to eat slowly. I always feel a little fuller after a couple minutes.

Rachel said...

You are doing great...have you ever held three 5 lb bags of potatoes?

Rachel said...

I have some definite opinions and advice about slow weight loss...if you are interested, please email me and I'll give you the low down, I just don't want to congest your blog comments:

rachelthinwithin1@gmail.com

LDswims said...

Sorry to be chiming in so late, but can't help but do so, especially since I don't see this in the comments I have reviewed.

A very wise bandster once said the trick isn't to eat as much as you can. The trick is to figure out how little you need.

Generally, the band isn't going to stop you from eating too much. It will give you Thanksgiving full much quicker than sans band. But you CAN eat around the band...a good piece of advice there - don't learn how to.

This wise bandster started out by measuring her food. She was advised to eat 1/2 cup at each meal. So she started with that and saw how far she went. She knew when she got to the sweet spot when that amount of food actually made her feel full and carried her for the hours between meals. And from there, she started working backwards. How "little" food made her feel full AND carried her to the next meal. Turned out it was closer to 1/3 of a cup was all she "needed".

I am like you, its the taste that keeps me going for more. But I have also found that really really chewing and taking my time and eating small bites allows me to actually enjoy my food more now than I did before the band. And if I do all that stuff...I can't eat/don't want 1/2 cup either.

So like she said, don't eat as much as you can, figure out how little you can get away with. Ideally, in my mind, we should not need to snack and we should not be left feeling hungry and/or wanting more.

I hope this helps...