Monday, June 13, 2011

6 month Bandiversary! Go me.

Today I have been banded for 6 months. I had surgery at 7 pm at night in the middle of a snow and ice storm in a town 1.5 hours away. I stayed in a hotel the first night with my husband. I was uncomfortable, nauseous, and dizzy.

The next few days I did have gas pain, I wasn't hungry in the least, and I had great help from my husband, sister, mom, and friends.

If you ask me today I can barely remember the uncomfortable-ness after surgery.


I started my process in October of last year. I was told that it would take 4-6 months before I would have surgery (if all went well). I jumped on the band wagon. Did everything I was asked to do as quick as I could and had surgery 2.5 months later! My insurance company paid for most things.

You all know the reason I wanted surgery. We all have similar stories. Mine is not all that different from yours. Would I do anything differently? Not in your life! I am happy and I feel great!

I am a slow loser. There have been no 5 lb loss weeks for me. Except right after surgery. 2.5 was probably the biggest loss that I had in a week.  1-2 lbs was about the average. I occasionally felt upset about that. I won't lie. But I can tell you right now I would never have kept that off with a regular diet.

I have had no gains. A lb here or there due to water weight and salt..or hormones. But nothing permanent. I do PB fairly often. I truly need to learn patience and it is always my fault when I do.

I feel like I have been a success. I started this process at 249 and today I weigh 200.8 to 201.6 (that was stepping on the scale 20 times this am)

Do I think this surgery is a cure-all. No. But you know what? It is working for me and I hope that it keeps working!

I exercise most weeks 3-5 times a week. Yoga is my big thing. But I do core training, elliptical, zumba, and various other classes! (although is past week I did nothing) I count calories for the most part. Only to keep me in check. I try everything...there are somethings I avoid but not much! For example I will not eat a big honkin cheese burger...as much as I want one. I just can't handle that big of a bite. I can eat about 5 fries and then call it a day! I am average on my water consumption. Some days I am great! I need to be better on my vitamin taking. My b vitamins are low.

My blood sugar which was high and I was taking Metformin for (right before surgery) is well into the normal range. I REPEAT! NORMAL. That is a fantastic thing.

Without further adieu:




Summer 2010 before surgery


Gak, Sept. 2010. I am the one in flattering strips! With my college buddies!

My husbands fav. cake. The only one I make. Oct. 2010. 2 months before surgery


Sept. 2010 Green Blob and baby Andrew


October 2010. NYC


Dec. 10th, 2010 3 days before surgery!

Dec. 10th 2010...again three days before lap band!

June 2011. 5 months and 3 weeks after surgery

5 months and 3 weeks after surgery
Last week! June 2011 6 months after the band



I'd like to lose about 40 more lbs. That gets me to 160. Then we shall think about it. I am considering trying for a baby soon...so things may change a bit there. I am extremely lucky to have a very supportive husband, family, and friends. I still drink my martinis on occasion. I still very occasionally eat some pizza...I am still living. Just happier and thinner. I can see it. I know I've said that I couldn't see "it" but that picture of me in the brown outfit from last Saturday helps me to see it. 

Every last one of you...regardless of you being a regular or not to my blog...have helped me a long the way. You will continue to do so. Thank you. From the bottom of my shrinking gut. Thank you.

24 comments:

Lap Band Gal said...

That's right...GO YOU! Keep rocking it!

~Lisa~ said...

GO YOU, BEAUTIFUL LADY!! What an incredible transformation you've made!! Happy Bandaversary!! You're doing this - and I am sooo proud of YOU!!!!

You ARE my inspiration!!

Dawnya said...

You look great!! Keep doing what you are doing. You will meet your goal and then some. I'm so proud of you.

Heather said...

Looking wonderful! You are doing awesome. Keep it up!

Lee Ann said...

You guys are going to have the cutest kids. :)

Susan said...

You are doing so fantastic!!! I am one week away from my 6 month too. Hoping to have a strong finish!

Rhonda said...

"From the bottom of my shrinking gut." I love it. You rock, roomie! :)

MandaPanda said...

Lookin' great! Congratulations on your 6 months. I don't think I even marked my 6 month bandiversary. Probably should've. Oh well. I'm only 2 months from 1 year so will probably do a post then.

You've come so far and should feel so proud. From one "slow loser" to another, I salute you!

The Ninja said...

You look great and most importantly, you look happy. I don't think any of us have it all "worked out" but you seem as close as some and closer than others. I am so proud of you!

Michelle said...

You are fabulous and you look fabulous!!! Keep up the amazing work, I wish I was able to go to BOOBs this year!! I want to meet you and the rest of these amazing women we all talk to! You will make it to your goal and we will all be here along the way!! Keep it up girl your doing great!!

Leslie said...

You look aaaaaamazing!! I'm so proud of you loss and your attitude!! :-)

Keep up the good work!!

Lyla said...

Happy 6 months! You have done so well ( I love the last pic of you so so much, hottie), and you've done it with a great attitude.

Yay for Amanda!

Justawallflower said...

You have done beyond amazing on this journey! I am so proud of you, and glad to call you my friend! Heres to the next six months *clink, clink*

Cat said...

What an amazing transformation. Living life and rockin your weight loss efforts! I'm so very proud of you and grateful to have found you along my journey.

Jess said...

Awww! Look at you go doll! I am thrilled for ya!

Tracy said...

You look amazing - keep up the great work. I am so happy for you. Doesn't it feel GREAT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Looking good!!! I just have to share this...My name is Amanda also, and I have a blog..

www.hopefulbandster.blogspot.com

We already have so many things in commons! LOL

Congrats again girlie! :)

Beth Ann said...

I'm SO glad things are going well for you. You look so wonderful!! :)

Steph said...

You are just looking so fabulous...congrats to you!!!

Andrea said...

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I am new to this whole blogging thing and I am always open to suggestions! So do I just comment back on one of your posts like I am doing now or somewhere else?

Andrea said...

Thanks! Congratulations on your 6 month Bandiversary! :)

KMR said...

You've done an awesome job. Many congrats on your 6 month bandiversary!!

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

Way to go!!! Congrats on your 6 mo and I'm so very impressed with the hard work you've done this far! Man - you're a rock star! You're a beautiful girl and it looks like you have a great family. You and your hubs are adorable! Thanks for you input on my blog today - it helps a lot!! Congrats again!!!

Katie said...

hello! I found your blog and I would love to chat about your band experience. I too live in NC, and hae BCBS of NC My husband is looking into the surgery and any advice or help would be awesome!!

moore8809@hotmail.com

thank you in advance katie