and.
He took out 2 ccs.
2 whole ccs.
Insane. His reason for doing so is that I have had issues for over a week now and he is worried about an edema.
Whats an edema?
Edema (American English) or oedema (British English); both words from the Greek οἴδημα, oídēma "swelling"), formerly known as dropsy or hydropsy, is an abnormal accumulation of fluid beneath the skin or in one or more cavities of the body that produces swelling. Generally, the amount of interstitial fluid is determined by the balance of fluid homeostasis, and increased secretion of fluid into the interstitium or impaired removal of this fluid may cause edema
Okay so I under stand that there is probably some swelling due from being too tight for too long. I can admit that I have probably been pacifying this too tight fill for quite some time.
I made a lot of excuses. 2 periods so tightness associated with those, Strep, Upper Resp. Infection, Pneumonia...so tightness while being sick, and then back to being tight due to a period!
So YES all of those things do cause tightness typically but one did not need to have that issue for 2 months.
Doc Ed said I could come back in on Tuesday for a refill but his PA said it would be a non aggressive fill due to their office being closed for a week and him being worried that I will have another issue.
So the option is this: Have a fill on Tuesday or wait three weeks and have a fill.
While you are thinking about this let me tell you that the last 2 days I was having issues even drinking enough water. Since last night I have had about 50oz of water and a coffee. I gained a 1lb since yesterday.. I ate an Chicken English Muffin this morning...
and I am scared. I am scared that my little old mind will tell me since I CAN eat this then I SHOULD eat it. But part of me is looking for the challenge of maintaining my weight during these next three weeks, should I decide to wait. I lost at least 20 lbs since the middle of August. I do not want to gain. I mean 1-3 lbs isn't a big deal but any more then that and I will flip my lid!
So here is what I am going to do. Count calories. I kind of stopped this over the last 2 months. Mainly because I wasn't really eating much (except in Chicago where I could eat Garrett's popcorn and all sorts of junk). I am going to get plenty of exercise in...and I am going to follow bandster rules with solid protein and tiny bites!
I'll need help with this. I am asking. I know I seem like a baby but I have effed up all other diets and I don't want to eff this one up. This isn't a diet I know but from day one I was worried I would screw this up and this has been the first hiccup for me along this journey...so I will allow myself some anxiety.


23 comments:
You'll be OK. You know what to do, just focus on bandster rules. If anything not being too tight may help you get back on track. Don't panic, I had a full unfill early on and I got through it.
I've been debating get a little unfill too.
lean on me. I'm it he same place. Don't worry about that one pound gain or even a couple of pounds. You've been starving your body for a while and if it's anything like mine, it's going to hold on to whatever you do put in now DON'T WORRY. I gained 10lbs in 2 weeks of a complete unfill about a month ago and the week i had it filled I lost those 10lbs again and am now down about 8 from there. Just listen to your body. Learn to listen for the full signal. It's there. It's just not as obvious as a stuck feeling or a burning sensation. You can do this. Don't worry.
You are going to get through this---that's the nice thing about having the band. You have the support of your surgeon and they are there to troubleshoot this with you. It's like the stockmarket. There might be some ups & downs but over the long haul you'll be a winner as long as you hang in there.
I second what everyone said - no worries over the long haul. We're gonna... wait for it... leap to goal. :D
Love you, ladybug!
You can do it! You know what to do and you definitely have all our support. It wil be kind of cool to know that you can do it on your own if you have to, but it's nice to have the help.
You are going to be just fine, even if you do gain a bit now that you can actually get some nutrition in darlin. You are so incredible, when you're able to get back in the green zone, you'll get any little bit that you put on back off.
*glitter hearts*
I totally get the anxiety, I'd have it too (hell I do have it just in a general sense). But, you've got this!!! Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time, one bite at a time. Follow the rules - that's where I am right now. I finished the pouch test and now I'm onto following the rules I should have been following all along. Protein first, small bites, and as Island Bandit said (and this is the hardest to me) learning to listen to the first sign I've had enough and stopping then. My plan is to tell myself - if I still really want more of whatever it is - I can have it in an hour or so. Hopefully that will help me with my listening skills! I'm thinking I may need to revisit preschool to work on those!
You're going to be ok, Lovely Lady.. The most important thing is to take care of your band - of your body.. losing will come, but your health and your band is most important - this is only temporary...
((((hugggssss)))) to YOU...
I was right where you are with my 2cc unfill (that seems to be a common number, so I'm wondering if that's a 'recommended amount'?). If you're still eating very well/easily on Tuesday, get the small fill...it probably won't be a lot, but it may give you the little bit of help so that you can still curb the hunger a little. Like everyone said, don't worry about a few pound gain as you were dehydrated and starving and it WILL come right back off (take a peek at my 'maintenance' blog this week to see my unfill/refill).
I really think patients should be taught that unfills are to be expected along the way so that they don't scare us (me) so much (and so we don't delay getting them and causing worse problems).
Keep us posted, and I know you'll do great! ((hugs))
All good advice up above. I'll add: you cannot have gained a pound in a day or so... you were clearly dehydrated and just put that back in (in other words, that pound you were down was probably purely water weight that was missing.)
Anyway: hang in there. The only way to fail is to give up. My motto is: fall 7 times, get up 8. Repeat that to yourself and you will never fail.
Lots of hugs to you and HANG IN THERE... this is not a linear journey- but one that has its ups and downs.
You will be fine. I've never done the unfill, but it does seem relatively common. My only advice would be to drink a lot of water so you don't eat due to thirst rather than due to hunger.
You know the rules, you have the support, and if you slip you know you can get back on that horse again!!! We are all behind you and we KNOW you can do it! Be well!
I like the idea of counting calories. It has really helped me the past two months. And upper the protein and lowering the carbs always works also.
You can do it, I know you're anxious, but I know you can and will do it. You've come too far. And what Dinnerland said - it was water weight, you must have been dehydrated. All of these comments are right on.
P.S. What is a chicken english muffin?
Can't add any advise to those who know so much more than I but it sounds like you've got a solid plan there (counting calories, bandster rules, etc). You'll be fine ... you're a smart (beautiful) woman who can do it (as you've already shown !) ::: hugs :::
Yes!! You can do it!!! You are doing awesome just stick w it!! Three weeks will go faster than you think!! Xoxo
You can do this you are very strong! You will get through it, you do not want to hurt the band, letting it calm down from being to tight is for the best!
Hugs
Amanda, you are my hero. I know you will handle this just fine. You body was probably dehydrated; you did not gain a pound in a day. Log your food and your exercise and you will be okay.
I don't have much advice to add to all the great bits you've gotten from other bloggs but wanted to lend support. You have to give your body a chance to hit equilibrium again...to remember what it's supposed to be doing and that's not starving and not hanging on to everything after it's been starving. So take it one day at a time, try to make good choices and maybe don't weigh yourself the first week or so while your body adjusts...just so you don't drive yourself insane. You'll be alright..I promise!
Any time you get frustrated, you know what to do! If email isn't enough, text me. We CAN do this!
i'm a little late to the party here girl, sorry - but you are in my thoughts!! stay strong!!!
Thinking of you Amanda. :) We're here for you, use us!
Hope all is going well for you Amanda. Let us know how you are making out.
Post a Comment